If you’re searching for a UK app developer then you’ve come to the right place. The UK has been referred to as a “powerhouse” of the global app development market, and for iOS, Android and Cross Platform, the data backs it all up.
In 2019, 79% of adults in UK owned a smartphone. On average brits spent 2 hours and 34 minutes interacting with their smartphones on a daily basis, spending 1 out of 5 minutes on social media. 72% of mobile connections in UK were 4G.
The app development market naturally follows, with plenty of app developers both in London and beyond, another hub being Manchester. This guide looks at the UK app development scene in detail, counting up the cost of having a mobile application developed in the country. It covers what you should think about when choosing an app developer in the UK and then lists some of the best companies who operate in the country.
Optimise your finance app to increase customer engagement
As top UK app developers we work with global brands to provide solutions to their problems. Find out how we have worked in fintech to improve customer experience and increased brand loyalty.Learn more
We have put this list of UK app developers together based on our own research, suggestions from our network and based on rankings and data from other third party sources and sites. The list is in no particular order, rather we have tried to aggregate and curate a range of useful suggestions for UK app development shops. Whether you choose to work with them or not is up to you to decide. This guide is divided into four sections, providing background on the market, typical app development costs and the best way to make your selection before providing some more details on specific app development companies operating in the UK market.
You can jump to the start of each section using the section headings below:
- The app developer market in the UK
- UK app development costs and statistics
- How to choose app developers in the UK
- Best UK App Developers
We begin with an overview of the app developer market in the UK.
The app developer market in the UK
It’s a strong one.
Revenues in the UK app developer market are forecast to be more than £31 billion by 2025, and according to a report by Vision Mobile, the economy will be worth more than £30 billion by 2030.
App developers can be found all over the United Kingdom, but the majority is clustered around London. Of its 8000 app-development-related companies (around a fifth of all European app development agencies), 31% are located in the capital, and about 25% of those in the south-east part of the city.
Location of app development companies in UK
It’s estimated that these together employ 380,000 people (though not all of them are developers – this includes designers, admin and marketing people involved in the app industry.)
With all signs that the industry is growing, what kind of prices can you expect to develop a mobile application in the UK?
UK app development costs
How do UK app development costs measure up globally?
Globally, an iOS mobile app development price tag is in a ballpark of $28,000, for Android its $23,000 and $18,000 for a Window Phone OS.
The UK has some of the best app developers in the world, and thus costs can be close to the global average. According to this app development price calculator, a single platform app could cost £ 38,000, while a two-platform app can reach £42,000. These costs are calculated for developing an app from scratch, with a multi-lingual interface, a user account, in-app purchases and custom UI design.
The amount a developer charges per hour also comes close to global highs. Below you can find a graph for the estimated minimum and maximum you can expect to pay hourly for an app developer to work on your iOS or Android app.
Median cost of mobile app development in select regions worldwide, by platform
Data source: Statista
The reason for the high price is quality: not only are some of the best app developers in the world found here, but many US firms have offices here – while not technically from the UK, they operate on the territory and raise the average.
Top UK App Development Companies:
- hedgehog lab - We help global brands solve their problems with digital products on mobile, web and connected platforms.
- Light IT - Reliable technical partner for more than 500 companies since 2006
- eleks - Your Technology Partner for Software Innovation and Market-leading Solutions
- OpenXcell - Build your own offshore software development team
- Promatics - Top Rated Mobile App Development Company
- Emizen Tech - Mobile app Development Company
- The NineHertz - Smart & Robust Mobile App Development
- Netsells - Building Something Better
- 3 Sided Cube - LET'S BUILD TECH FOR GOOD
- The Distance - Leading UK Mobile App Development Company
- Rantmedia - Think. Make. Innovate.
- Intellectsoft - Engineering Your Vision
- GeekyAnts - We are a product studio transforming ideas into reality
- Sonin - A Decade of Award-Winning Apps
How to choose app developers in the UK
There’s a few things you should know:
Two major sections: the research you can do on your own, and the interview phase with the app developer, where you’ll explore their skills and expertise while they try to understand your business and your app. The research you can do at home is as follows:
- Review their portfolio: not only to see how many apps they’ve made and how successful they’ve been, but also to see which industries they’ve worked for. A niche social network app has vastly different characteristics and challenges to a mobile enterprise app for industry. Experience in your specific field of business is just as important as development skills.
- Recommendations: ask others in your industry who have launched successful apps to recommend a developer, or find out who made the most successful apps if there’s an industry benchmark.
- Check out our Market Place: You’ll find a wealth of information and app developer profiles in Business of App’s Marketplace.
Top 5 UK App Development Companies, by Twitter Followers
Best UK App Developers
These the top app development companies with offices in the UK. They’re not ranked in any order, they’re just “the best.” We’ve gone for a mix of budgets, skills and expertise as well as made sure to choose companies from all over the UK, not just in London.
List of mobile app development companies in the UK
The NineHertz is one of the leading mobile app development companies globally that offers top-notch business solutions. Since 2008, we have developed more than 1000 mobile apps for both iOS and Android platforms for businesses, startups, enterprises across all industries.
We have expertise in various technology domains including mobile app and web development, emerging technologies (IoT, AR/VR, Big Data, iBeacon, and PWA), Salesforce, Talend Data Integration, Digital Marketing, Industrial Solutions, and e-Commerce Services.
- Platforms: Android, iOS, Flutter, Ionic, React Native, PWA, Internet of Things, Web Development, Mobile Web
- Industry We Serve: Real Estate & Property, Travel & Hospitality, On-Demand Solutions, Food & Restaurant, Banking, Finance & Insurance, Education & eLearning, eCommerce, Media & Entertainment, Healthcare & Fitness
- Offices: Atlanta, Cincinnati (USA), Florida (USA), Jaipur (India), UAE
- Key Clients: Samsung, Casio, Vodafone, Airtel, Pepsi, Siemens
- Employees: 575+
- Serving in Industry: 12+ Years
- We have successfully 450+ clients in over 15+ countries
- We are NASSCOM member and Microsoft certified professional
Learn more about The NineHertz
iTechArt is a custom software development company that provides dedicated teams of hotshot engineers. It helps VC-backed startups and fast-growing tech companies build successful, scalable products that users love. Its team has a broad range of tech expertise – Angular, Ruby on Rails, PHP, .NET, Salesforce, QA & Testing, React, React Native, Node, Java, Mobile and Python.
- Platforms: iOS, Android, Windows.
- Sector Focus: Wellness & Fitness, Foodtech, E-commerce, Fintech, Elearning, Real Estate, Event Management, IoT, HealthTech.
- UK Office: 41 Corsham Street, London, UK N1 6DR, GB
Has covered a number of sectors in its portfolio, ranging from finance and travel to healthcare and music streaming. Miquido created the famous SkyScanner app, which has been downloaded more than 10 million times. Since 2011 delivered 100+ solutions for international clients and 20M+ satisfied users, grown from 3 to over 100 people in just 6 years. Winner of Google best apps of 2016 (HelloFresh), Webit Awards 2017 (Picniic)
- Platforms: iOS, Android
- Sector Focus: Business Services, Finance
- Office: 1st Katharine’s Way London E1W 1UN, UK
- Employees: 100+
Fueled, based in New York, is an award-winning app designer, having delivered Drop, Afterlight and Nimble, to name a few of their projects. Fueled were also chosen by HBO to make a Game of Thrones app, which says a lot about trust! It features full-service mobile app development and strategy, support from strategy and planning teams for app development, focus on creating beautiful, engaging designs offering innovative user interfaces.
- Platforms: iOS, Android, Windows
- Sector Focus: Consumer products
- Office: 68 Hanbury St London E1 5JL, UK
- Employees: 50+
Serving In 70+ Countries For Web, Software And Mobile App Development
Octal IT Solution is mobile app software development company that worked with companies ranging from start-up size to Fortune 500 corporations. The company was recognized by multiple research firms such as BWDA, Extract.co, GoodFirms, AppFutura, ITFirms, TeamHunt, Clutch. The company key clients include Oricom, Aviva and FIAT. Since it was founded in 2004 it completed over 700 clients and 3,200 web and mobile app development projects.
- Platforms: iOS, Android, Mobile Web, Windows Mobile
- Sector Focus: Enterprise, Games, Sports, Social, Education
- Offices: Flat L04 Hester House, 72 – 78 Conington Road Lewisham LONDON SE13 7FL
- Employees: 150
INT is an award-winning digital-first enterprise bringing innovative ideas to life since 1997. Offering simple and sustainable digital solutions with the confluence of technology, analytics and marketing, INT is the trusted partner of fastest-growing Agencies, SMEs and Startups across 20+ countries.
INT consultative & collaborative approach is analytics-driven. It helps enterprises to navigate every facet of the digital landscape, to identify growth opportunities, reveal competitive advantages, and define engaging experiences for their customers.
- Platforms: Android, HTML5, Mobile Web
- Sector Focus: Media & Publishing, Banking, Real Estate, Insurance, Government, Financial Services, Retail
- Offices: Kolkata, India, Mumbai, India
Tapptitude is a product studio that partners with funded startups and established brands to build interactive, mobile-first products that people love to use.
Tapptitude supports clients proactively throughout the journey from idea to launching a product and scaling it up. Startups and brands work with Tapptitude to define their product, design their prototype, develop their MVP and scale a successful product.
- Platforms: iOS, Android
- Sector Focus: IoT, Media, Retail, Productivity, On-Demand Delivery, Retail, Real Estate, Automative, FinTech,
- Offices: London, UK, Cluj-Napoca, Romania.
3 Edge Technologies is an app design and development agency based in Jaipur, India and specialized in building full stack mobile products, with native technologies for iOS & Android devices. It has a team that specializes at app development, UX and UI design, product management, strategists, all focused on delivering full-stack mobile app development services to funded startups and strong brands looking to grow their business and innovate on mobile. There are several factors that allow this company to stand out the rest – high quality WordPress development service, 24/7 tech support, competitive pricing, transparency and proven Agile methodology.
- Platforms: Android, iOS
- Sector Focus: Real Estate, Travel & Hospitality, B2B, Healthcare, Education & e-Learning, Banking & Finance, Startup solutions, Media & Entertainment, Food Ordering solutions
- Uk Office: 33 Harbour View Road – Newhaven – BN9 9TT – UK
- Employees: 15
Dev Technosys Pvt Ltd is an ISO 9001:2008 certified web and mobile app development company. The company’s key services include: iPhone App Development, Android App Development, Web Design & Development, Enterprise Software Development, CRM Consulting, POS Development, IoT Solutions, Quality Assurance & Testing, Mobile Backend Engineering , Ecommerce Development, On Demand Services
- Platforms: Android, iOS, iPad, Web Development
- Sector Focus: Tourism, Fashion, Fitness, Transportation, Healthcare.
- Office: 60 ST MARTINS LANE, COVENT GARDEN WC2N 4JS, London
- Employees: 51+
- Platforms: Android, iOS
- Sector Focus: Gaming & Entertainment, Banking, Education, Healthcare, Heavy Industries, Pharmaceutical, Real Estate and Automotive.
- Offices:#152, City Road EC1V 2NX, London, UK
- Employees: 50+