The US has been for a long time the biggest app market in the world, only recently being surpassed by China for number of downloads in 2015. There are currently over 100 million users in the country access the internet with a mobile device, and in 2014 the iOS App Store alone made $10 billion worth of earnings for developers.
The app developer market in the USA is, as a natural consequence also in extremely good health. Estimates say there were about 1.66 million app economy jobs in the US at the end of 2015, up from 750,000 in 2013. From big-name companies to niche and boutique studios, the landscape is rich with choice. This guide will help you guide that landscape, giving you the tools you need to choose the right developer for your app
The guide is divided in the following sections:
- The app developer market in the US
- US app development costs and statistics
- How to choose an app developer in the US
We’ll begin with a quick overview of the app developer market in the USA
The app developer market in the US
As of 2014 there were an estimated 680,00 mobile app developers in the US, and Actonline says 74% of all global development companies are found in the USA.
As you would expect, distribution is heavily skewed towards cities, the main hubs being San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, New York and Chicago. However, the sheer number of app developers, and the size of the country, means that despite there being a high number of devs in urban centres, about 82% of developers are actually outside cities. The map below is a representation of the distribution of development companies across the United States.
App development company distribution in Contiguous USA
If you leave in the United States, chances are there’s an app developer near you. Having spoken of the strength of the app economy and where devs can be found, the next question is how much does app development cost?
US app development costs and statistics
App development costs can vary not only from developer to developer, but from platform to platform – as well as naturally rising with the complexity of the app. Prices for developing an iOS mobile app can average around $27,000, with cost decreasing to $23,000 for Android (though this is on the rise as Android gains market leadership) and $18,000 for Windows phone.
Below is a graph representing the range of rates and median average rate one can expect to pay an app developer for iOS and Android apps.
Range of app development costs per hour in US (US Dollars)
Data source: Nine Hertz
The relatively high top end prices, compared to global rates, are because the best developers in the world can be found in the USA, and they bring the mean average up considerably (which is why we’ve chosen to show the median instead). However, the US also has the biggest range of rates, and while we don’t recommend going for the bottom-of-the-barrel rate, there are plenty of talented and award-winning developers at all points on the scale.
How to choose an app developer in the US
There’s two major sections this divides into: research you can do on your own, and the interview phase with the app developer, where you’ll explore their skills and expertise while they try to understand your business and your app. The research you can do at home is as follows:
- Review their portfolio: not only to see how many apps they’ve made and how successful they’ve been, but also to see which industries they’ve worked for. A niche social network app has vastly different characteristics and challenges to a mobile enterprise app for industry. Experience in your specific field of business is just as important as development skills.
- Recommendations: ask others in your industry who have launched successful apps to recommend a developer, or find out who made the most successful apps if there’s an industry benchmark.
List of mobile app development companies in the USA
CodigoDelSur – Uruguay-based web and mobile app development studio with 12+ experience on the market under its belt. Having a team of 85 developers and designers, to this day the company completed over 200 mobile app projects. The scope of its expertise covers web apps, Java, .NET, mobile (iOS and Android) app development, VR, AI, chatbots, AR, IoT, drone apps and more.
- Platforms: Android, iOS
- Sector Focus: AR, VR, Chatbots, IoT, Drone apps
- Offices: Montevideo, Uruguay
Intellectsoft is a digital transformation consultancy that provides cutting-edge engineering solutions for global organizations. Each day companies ranging from startups to the world’s most recognizable brands, including Universal Pictures, Jaguar Motors, Qualcomm, Ernst & Young, Clinique, Bombardier, London Stock Exchange, Harley-Davidson leverage Intellectsoft’s creative solutions and mobile development services to enhance their products and maximize KPIs.
- Platforms: Android, iOS, HTML5
- Sector Focus: Construction, Healthcare, Insurance, Fintech, Logistics & Automotive, Travel & Hospitality, Retail & Ecommerce, Sports & Teams, Musicians & Bands.
- US Office: 721 Colorado Avenue, Suite 101 Palo Alto, CA USA 94303
Tapptitude is a product studio that partners with funded startups and established brands to build interactive, mobile-first products that people love to use.
Tapptitude supports clients proactively throughout the journey from idea to launching a product and scaling it up. Startups and brands work with Tapptitude to define their product, design their prototype, develop their MVP and scale a successful product.
- Platforms: iOS, Android
- Sector Focus: IoT, Media, Retail, Productivity, On-Demand Delivery, Retail, Real Estate, Automative, FinTech,
- Offices: London, UK, Cluj-Napoca, Romania.
Netsells is one of the leading UK based digital agencies that will turn 10 this year. It has an expertise in native (iOS and Android) and cross-platform mobile app development. The agency has been serving clients of all sizes from more than 40 countries. Some of its top clients are Hiscox, Uber, Trainline and Capita. Netsells developers team specialities ranges from web design, web development, logo design to mobile app development.
- Platforms: Android, iOS, HTML5
- Sector Focus: Broadcasting, Jobs, Finances, Fitness.
- UK Office: Suite 3, Mill House, North Street, York, YO1 6JD
iTechArt is a custom software development company that provides dedicated teams of hotshot engineers. It helps VC-backed startups and fast-growing tech companies build successful, scalable products that users love. Its team has a broad range of tech expertise – Angular, Ruby on Rails, PHP, .NET, Salesforce, QA & Testing, React, React Native, Node, Java, Mobile and Python.
- Platforms: iOS, Android, Windows.
- Sector Focus: Wellness & Fitness, Foodtech, E-commerce, Fintech, Elearning, Real Estate, Event Management, IoT, HealthTech.
- UK Office: 41 Corsham Street, London, UK N1 6DR, GB
INTUZ is a Global IT Consulting Company. We have been the preferred choice as a technology consulting partner for software application development for SMBs and Startups. Being an AWS Certified, Microsoft Partner, ISO Certified, INTUZ works long term with clients looking for Web, Mobile, IoT, Blockchain and Cloud application development experts. With over 10+ years in the industry, we have provided custom solutions solving real work business challenges.
- Platforms: iOS, Android, IoT, BlockChain
- Sector Focus: Healthcare, Fintech, Retail, Ecommerce, Manufacturing, E-learning, On-demand Solutions, Marketplace
- Key Clients: Bosch, Mercedes AMG, JLL, HolidayInn, Cambridge Publications and more.
- US Office: 18 Bartol Street Suite #130, San Francisco CA 9413
NMG Technologies is a global full-cycle software development company building advance websites, software and mobile apps using latest technologies since 2008. NMG Technologies is trusted by enterprises & Fortune 500 companies across 30 countries.
It offers Enterprise Software Development, Dedicated Development Team, IT Consulting, Mobile App Development. As well as the following solutions – Corporate/Business Websites, Enterprise Ecommerce, Blockchain Development, FinTech, Augmented Reality, Cloud Apps , Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things
- Platforms: Android, HTML5, iOS, Mobile Web
- Sector Focus: IoT, FinTech, Chatbot, AR/VR, Blockchain, AI.
- Offices: Delhi, India, London, UK, Las Vegas, US.
Zymr – Based in California, US with two offices in India, Zymr Inc. specializes in cloud-based solutions for Enterprise mobility and apps. Their expertise and reputation have led them to work with communications giants Cisco and Vodafone. Zymr is more than 7 years on the market and through these year it has managed to complete more than 70 app development projects.
- Platforms: Android, HTML5, iOS, Mobile Web
- Sector Focus: HealthTech, FinTech, and RetailTech
- US Office: San Jose, US, Pune, India, Ahmedabad, India
Konstant Infosolutions is a globally recognized mobile app development company delivering the best-in-class solutions. Having served businesses, startups, enterprises across all industries, they’ve developed over 500 Android, iOS and hybrid mobile apps.
Its team of 180+ professionals possess the finest combination of skills in business analytics, project management, code development, UI/UX design, app prototyping and strategy, web design, quality assurance and various other verticals. With a vision to becoming the top choice of businesses worldwide as a trusted offshore development partner, Konstantinfo continues to follow on-time, in-budget principles and offer cost-effectiveness in each of the projects delivered.
- Platforms: Android, iOS, Mobile Web
- Sector Focus: Banking, Business & Administration, Directory & Organization, Ecommerce, Education & Human Resources, Event and Tickets, Food & Restaurant, Gaming & Leisure, Government, Healthcare & Fitness, Media & Entertainment
- Offices: NYC, US, San Francisco, US, Jaipur, India
Rantmedia is a small UK-based app development studio with 15+ experience of delivering superb software for desktop and mobile. Rantmedia team is ready to work with companies of all sizes, from small startups to global well established brands. It was awarded with BAFTA for Technical Achievement by The British Academy of Film and Television Arts in Wales.
- Platforms: Android, iOS
- Sector Focus: Sports, Games, Broadcasting
- UK Office: 22 Cathedral Rd, Cardiff CF11 9LJ, London, UK
- Key clients: BBC, TV/S Soccer, NHS, Project AWARE
Eleks – Ukraine, Kyiv based app development studio with more than 1,000 employees and 25+ years of software development experience the company leverages to develop superb mobile apps. The company’s development offices are located in Ukraine and Poland and the sales ones are in UK, US, Estonia and Germany. The spectrum of Eleks specialities is broad, it covers data science, mobility, quality assurance and testing, R&D, blockchain, AI, Cloud, IoT, ML, logistics and more.
- Platforms: iOS, Android, HTML5, Mobile Web, Web Development
- Sector Focus: Retail, Fintech, Logistics, Media & Entertainment, Heatlthtech, Government, Agriculture
- UK Office: South Quay, London, E14 9GE, E149JL, GB
INT is an award-winning digital-first enterprise bringing innovative ideas to life since 1997. Offering simple and sustainable digital solutions with the confluence of technology, analytics and marketing, INT is the trusted partner of fastest-growing Agencies, SMEs and Startups across 20+ countries.
INT consultative & collaborative approach is analytics-driven. It helps enterprises to navigate every facet of the digital landscape, to identify growth opportunities, reveal competitive advantages, and define engaging experiences for their customers.
- Platforms: Android, HTML5, Mobile Web
- Sector Focus: Media & Publishing, Banking, Real Estate, Insurance, Government, Financial Services, Retail
- Offices: Kolkata, India, Mumbai, India
Tarkin Studios is a mobile app publisher and developer that brings great games and apps to market successfully. Your app/game is your property. Our mission is to help you get to market and maintain your intellectual property.Learn more about Tarkin Studios
Code Brew Labs is a mobile focused software development company which has served startups and enterprises all across the globe. We are a team of around 100 people, using the best practices and having the best minds and creativity.Learn more about Code Brew Labs
- Platforms: Android, iOS
- Sector Focus: Gaming & Entertainment, Banking, Education, Healthcare, Heavy Industries, Pharmaceutical, Real Estate and Automotive.
- Offices:#152, City Road EC1V 2NX, London, UK
- Employees: 50+
Founded in 2008, [x]cube LABS is a leader in mobile app development and consulting. With deep expertise across Mobile, IoT & Wearables, Big Data and Cloud technologies, [x]cube is the partner of choice for several disruptive startups and Fortune 1000 brands like GE, Honeywell, Sharp, UHG, Amazon, Nokia, Dreamworks, Texas Instruments etc.Learn more about [x]cube LABS
Agicent offers high quality mobile app development services to startups, entrepreneurs, and growing organizations across the world. We created some famous apps like HASfit, Pregmo, and Drivewey. We assign you a dedicated developer (or team) for your project, no matter how small or big work it is so that you have full control and never have communication gap.Learn more about Agicent App Company
Hidden Brains Infotech is an Award Winning Web & Mobile App Development Company committed to provide end-to-end IT services in Web, Mobile, Cloud, CMS and Ecommerce. Right from ideation, UX/UI design, development through final deployment, we have successfully delivered 5000+ Web & 850+ Mobile applications in a span of 12+ years to clients across 97 countries.Learn more about Hidden Brains
TechBlocks, Inc. is a software consulting and product engineering company headquartered in Toronto, that specializes in development of enterprise applications, products and platforms on web, mobile and cloud.Learn more about TechBlocks
Appus Studio is a full-cycle app development company with the in-house team. The company was found in 2009 in Ukraine. Now it is a middle-sized IT company with 40 professionals (iOS, Android, Web developers, UI/UX designers, project managers, QA testers) on a board and one of the TOP app development companies, based in Ukraine that serves clients from all over the world.Learn more about Appus Studio
Chelsea Apps – is a mobile and web app development agency with 70+ million mobile app downloads and generating in excess of £250m for its clients. The team is dedicated to crafting apps that make a real impact. People that work in Chelsea Apps bring to bear a blend of youth and experience with strengths in areas such as creativity, development, enterprise-level security and big data innovation. Chelsea Apps worked for companies likes of TFL, Ladbrokes, Waitrose, KPMG, Peace One Day and Telefonica among others
- Platforms: iOS, Android, Windows
- Sector Focus: Retail
- UK Office: 30 Stamford Street, London SE1 9LQ, & Telephone House, 18 Christchurch Rd, Bournemouth BH1 3NE United Kingdom
- Employees: 10+
Zco Corporation has over 25 years of custom software development experience and is an industry leader in mobile app development. As a established and dependable vendor, Zco has built best-selling award winning apps for small businesses to fortune 500 companies worldwide.Learn more about Zco Corporation
Serving In 70+ Countries For Web, Software And Mobile App Development
Octal IT Solution is mobile app software development company that worked with companies ranging from start-up size to Fortune 500 corporations. The company was recognized by multiple research firms such as BWDA, Extract.co, GoodFirms, AppFutura, ITFirms, TeamHunt, Clutch. The company key clients include Oricom, Aviva and FIAT. Since it was founded in 2004 it completed over 700 clients and 3,200 web and mobile app development projects.
- Platforms: iOS, Android, Mobile Web, Windows Mobile
- Sector Focus: Enterprise, Games, Sports, Social, Education
- Offices: Flat L04 Hester House, 72 – 78 Conington Road Lewisham LONDON SE13 7FL
- Employees: 150
|2007||51-200||$5m +||6k +||74,000|
hedgehog lab is a global product consultancy which focuses on assisting brands and enterprises in achieving their business goals using emerging technologies. Its team services list consists of services that cover research & insight, product strategy, design, mobile & web app development, AI tech and a number of services for a products scaling – support, analytics and more. Among its key clients are Microsoft, Mitsubishi, Kodak Alaris.
- Platforms: iOS, Android, Web, AR, VR
- Sector Focus: IT and Healthcare
- Offices: Generator Studios, Trafalgar Street, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 2LA ; 41 Corsham Street, London, N1 6DR.
- Employees: 51+
Dev Technosys Pvt Ltd is an ISO 9001:2008 certified web and mobile app development company. The company’s key services include: iPhone App Development, Android App Development, Web Design & Development, Enterprise Software Development, CRM Consulting, POS Development, IoT Solutions, Quality Assurance & Testing, Mobile Backend Engineering , Ecommerce Development, On Demand Services
- Platforms: Android, iOS, iPad, Web Development
- Sector Focus: Tourism, Fashion, Fitness, Transportation, Healthcare.
- Office: 60 ST MARTINS LANE, COVENT GARDEN WC2N 4JS, London
- Employees: 51+