Push notifications offer fast, real-time, targeted messaging that boosts click-through rates and increases app retention scores.
But to get results, app companies must strike a fine balance – send too many and users tune out. Don’t send enough and they’ll forget about you. And this is why app companies go to push notification services, like tech platforms, for help.
Top Push Notifications Services
Statistics suggest almost half of users stay engaged on an app when they opt into push notifications. Or, at least beyond the unofficial retention point of 11 sessions. But research conducted by Leanplum in 2019 also showed more than 75% of millennials delete an app if they get too many.
So, to help you get a handle on this, we’ve compiled a list of top push notification services to consider approaching. And as part of our guide, we’ll answer the question ‘what is a push notification’ and show you what they can do for your business.
What are push notifications?
A mobile push notification is an automated message sent to a device via an app. They’re like SMS but only reach users who’ve installed the app. And this gives users more control over what they receive. Rich push notifications are also a type of push notification that contain rich media attachments like GIFs or videos.
And both types encourage users to log back into an app, even when the app is closed.
First launched by Apple APNS (Apple Push Notification Service) in 2009, push notifications are a feature of every operating system, from iOS and Android to Fire OS and Windows. Marketers can use them to encourage app use in different ways, provided users give their consent to do so.
So what’s the key to creating a push notification strategy that gets engagement?
Well, analysis shows that sending frequent push notifications during an app user’s first 90 days boosts retention by X3 to X10. And the same research showed an 80% retention rate on Android platforms in the first week. For iOS users, retention rates were as high as 90%.
So while Android gets very high opt-in rates over iOS, it’s because it sends messages by default. For iOS users, they must give their consent to receive any push notifications.
Top Push Notifications Services
- Propeller Ads - Worldwide Performance Advertising & Self-Service Platform
- AdMaven - The Ad Network For publishers and advertisers
- RollerAds - Worldwide ad network with onclick, push and in-page push notifications.
- Airship - Mobile Marketing Solutions
- OneSignal - Maximize Engagement. Minimize Churn.
- The Sender - Clear and flexible web-push service for webmasters
Push notification opt-in rates
Types of app push notifications
So what are some examples of push notifications we can show you?
- Pop-up alerts: Pop-up alerts are real-time updates like news items, event updates and calendar reminders. And stats show that too many can lead to 10% of users disabling notifications and 6% disabling apps.
- Progress notifications: Training, gaming and learning apps use push notifications to encourage users to keep logging into an app.
- Promotional notifications: Online retailers often send exclusive offers, deals and giveaways to customers. For example, grocery app Perekrestock achieved a 19X higher conversion “Add to Basket” conversion goal using push notifications providers.
- Geo-location notifications: Geotargeting lets marketers send location-based weather alerts or commercial offers as part of a mobile marketing strategy.
- Delivery status tracking: E-commerce brands use push notifications to keep customers updated on parcel deliveries.
- Payment confirmations: Customers can receive instant transactional updates via push notification.
- Abandoned cart reminders: In March 2021, abandoned cart levels were as high as 80% for all sectors. And push notifications were effective at reminding customers of what they left behind.
Online shopping cart abandonment rates in selected industries, March 2021
What do app push notification services do?
Push notifications providers have been around for a while and some for over a decade. Amassing a huge amount of expertise, a push notification platform or company can make it easier to plan, schedule and deploy messaging to users.
Statistics show app users respond best to personalized, relevant and appropriate messaging. And a push notification platform, API or marketing company can offer many attributes that make them worth partnering with.
Some features they offer include:
Sending irrelevant notifications results in up to 60% attrition. And this makes relevancy an important factor of your push notification strategy.
A push notification platform can help with creating strategies that target users based on behaviors, demographics and geographic locations. And they can set up automated messages to service these strategic aims on your behalf.
Using automation saves considerable time and resources and helps you reach campaign goals much faster.
Push notifications have an impact when they bounce off other forms of messaging. After all, they’re there to ‘push’ users to open an app. So, it’s likely you’ll need further communications strategies to hold users’ attention and keep them engaged, once you’ve got them in the app.
A push notification platform can also help to develop in-app messaging services that engage users at the most sophisticated level. And with more agility to focus on personalized or customized messaging via in-app messaging services, push notifications providers can enable omnichannel marketing strategies that impact customer behavior on many levels.
Percentage of users engaging with in-app messaging
Abandoned shopping cart boost
Figures from Statista show the main reason for high cart abandonment rates is extra costs such as shipping and taxes. But you can address these issues through push notifications by highlighting relevant options and allaying customer concerns.
Using a push notification platform in a strategic and targeted way can help to prevent the risk that customers leave their goods on hold to check out the competition.
Reasons for abandoned shopping cart at US checkouts – 2021
Why should you use push notification services for your mobile app?
We’ve already highlighted the key ways you can use push notification services to enhance mobile push notifications. But what are some of the best reasons for connecting with these providers?
Promote feature adoption
It’s accepted that most users won’t use every feature of an app. But using a push notification platform can help to encourage feature discovery and adoption.
And once users are engaging with unused features, studies suggest it can lead to increased engagement and retention levels. Plus, when users feel they gain value from an app, their loyalty increases.
Support Deep Links to specific areas
Adding deep links to push notifications can help to guide users toward specific features of an app. And this can also increase feature adoption.
But reports also suggest that adding deep links improves the user experience, promotes retention and increases conversions by 70%.
So, deep links can help app owners to be more specific and targeted in their strategic approach. And it’s a push notification platform or service that can form the basis of doing that.
Statistics suggest that 50% of users find push notifications useful, but only when they choose to receive them.
Stats on no. of users who find push notifications useful
And with Dynamic/Semented Ads offering the highest Open Rates and CTRs at 8.8% and 1.95% respectively, app owners have real opportunities to boost revenue. And they may well find this easiest in partnership with a push notification platform.
Enhance omnichannel experiences
Retailers have an opportunity to maximize omnichannel marketing experiences using rich push notifications to promote flash sales, new products or in-app promotions.
And despite their ability to increase reaction times by 25% and boost open rates by over 50%, less than 10% of marketers use rich push notifications as part of their strategies.
But with their expertise, knowledge and state-of-the-art services, savvy app companies can look to push notification services for help.
How do app users respond to push notifications?
So how do users respond to push? Well, stats show they can impact a wide number of rates. And these make up some solid extra reasons why it’s a good idea to find a push notifications provider to work with:
- Open rates: A 2021 report revealed open rates of 3.4% for push notifications on iPhone and 4.6% on Android. And Airship’s push notifications statistics show that tailoring sending times for each user will boost open rates by 40%.
- Reaction rates: Targeting user segments can increase reaction rates by 3X. And offering personalized messages will gain 4-fold increases in response.
- Retention rates: Almost 50% of those who don’t enable push notifications end up disappearing after two sessions. And stats from Leanplum show correct timing leads to a 7x lift in retention.
- Conversion rates: Generic messages sent at the wrong times don’t tend to convert customers. But timing and personalization will have an impact.
- Types of app: Among a poll run by VWO Engage, social media and news apps were the favorite types for receiving push notifications.
Push notification user preferences
- Open rates on verticals: The best performing verticals for open rates are business & finance, entertainment & events and health & fitness.
Push notification open rates by industry: Android vs. iOS
Choose the best push notifications providers
So how should app owners select the best push notifications providers to help with optimizing app growth, installs and conversions?
With many different factors to consider, you can start by determining campaign goals and outlining the purpose of your push notifications.
For example, is it more important to promote engagement, conversions or retention? Or do you want to include open rates and conversion rates?
It’s worth taking some time to review your current situation, where you want to be and the kind of benefits you want to target before selecting a provider. But also, when factors such as the no. of notifications, the timing of delivery, the type of operating system and the need for personalization carry significant weight, app owners should be discerning.
For instance, basic personalization improves open rates by almost 10%. And adding emojis can boost CTR by almost 5%. And these are all aspects that can be factored into a test-and-learn approach using push notification services.
So, to get the most out of your strategy, it’s important to choose the right push notifications providers. But which ones are the best?
The top push notification providers come in a few shapes and sizes. Breaking them down into three main categories, it’s worth reviewing the different types to help decide which one would work best for you.
A push notification platform is a one-stop-shop for driving engagement, communications and conversions. You can schedule personalized messaging and connect it to in-app messaging, but also send out notifications at speed.
It’s also convenient to integrate a push notification platform with other tools to create more impactful campaigns. Plus, many specialize in particular areas like e-commerce. Most of them support multiple rich formats and offer analytics reports and tech or account management support.
Several marketing companies offer in-app plugins that include push notifications. Working in a consultative way, they support app owners with the tools they need to design and build omnichannel experiences.
Some specialist areas include deep linking tech support, geotargeting, analytics and recommendations on the best times to send push notifications.
Push notifications APIs
Like a push notification platform, push notifications APIs offer a SaaS tech solution for companies to use. But they do differ in the way they help developers avoid the hassle of complex integrations with other platforms. Plus, they allow them to manage real-time push updates.
Many APIs run on pay-as-you-go models or exclude upfront costs, which can be helpful when running push messaging for the first time.
So, that’s our guide to finding the best push notification services for your business. Make sure you consider your campaign goals before you make your selection. And think through which stage your business is at and what you want to gain from conducting push notifications activity.
Once you’re clear on that, then take a look through our complete list of providers below.
List of push notifications services for web, iOS and Android
Airshipis global mobile app marketing automation platform that helps brand owners to grow their business. Plus to the extensive suite of app marketing tools, it provides sophisticated mobile analytics system. It features user-level customer intelligence tool to reveal mobile app users cohorts that drive revenue, tools to predict and prevent mobile app churn, as well as to track mobile users behavioral patterns.
- Type: in-app analytics, Marketing analytics
- Pricing: available upon request
- Demo: available
- User guide: available
Learn more about Airship
|2014||101 - 200|
OneSignal helps mobile-first companies increase engagement and decrease customer churn through personalized customer messages and journeys without requiring extensive engineering work. The omnichannel messaging platform supports over a million companies in sending 12 billion messages daily across mobile push, web push, email, SMS, and in-app messaging.Learn more about OneSignal
eSputnik is an Omnichannel Marketing Automation Service that allows you to manage cross-channel messaging campaigns via Email, SMS, Web Push, Mobile Push, Viber and other instant messengers. eSputnik is used by more than 22.
- Pricing: Free (up to 25,000 contacts), $4/month (personalized web push notifications), $38/month (up to 10,000 device tokens)
- Platforms supported: iOS, Android, Web.
- Demo: available upon request
- User guide: available
Learn more about eSputnik
Taplytics is a mobile A/B testing, Push Notification and app analytics platform. Its BigQuery gives access to raw data (experiments, events, or push notifications) to setup custom metrics and it offers Mixpanel and Google Analytics integration. Taplytics capacity to provide analytics for apps, written for TV based operating systems, sets it apart from other analytics platforms.
- Type: In-app analytics.
- Pricing: a free plan (to track up to 25k MAU), the Enterprise plan pricing is upon request
- Platforms supported: iOS, Android, tvOS, Android TV, Amazon TV, Roku TV
- Demo: get in touch
- User guide: available
Learn more about Taplytics
Leanplum is a mobile engagement platform that includes app analytics, mobile marketing automation tools, solutions for mobile user retention, personalization and more. Leanplum uses multiple channels to help marketers to reach their customers – Push Notifications, Email, In-app messaging and Web Push Notifications.
- Type: In-app analytics, App Marketing analytics
- Pricing: Customized Enterprise Plan pricing is available upon request
- Platforms supported: Android, iOS
- Demo: available
- User guide: available
Learn more about Leanplum