Retargeting or remarketing is a form of advertising that focuses on bringing users who have already engaged with a brand back via targetted ads. Retargeting allows you to keep your brand in front of your potential customers after they have left your website — persuading them to reconsider your offer when they need it.
The strategy for apps largely remains dependent on one thing: getting people to actually use them. There are high abandonment rates for app users after initial installs and getting users to come back is a huge challenge.
App retargeting can help. By targeting people who have downloaded your app across social media channels and prompting them to get engaged again, you can ensure that usage remains steady. For retailers and brands, apps can become a crucial cornerstone for conversion.
The Challenges of App Retargeting
Mobile marketers invest a lot of time and money in their apps. Big budgets are often set aside to drive app downloads, too, because you know that apps can attract and build relationships with high-value users.
However, app usage frequently dwindles after the install. In one report, Localytics found that around 1 in 4 people abandon apps after one use.
The % of users that abandon apps after one use
Source: Localytics, 2018
Without a strategy to actively engage your app downloaders, installed base usage can quickly decrease. Apps that fail to engage users and sit unused are eventually deleted, and the opportunity to engage high value users is lost. The churn of unengaged users happens rapidly after app install, sometimes with just about one in ten users remaining after seven days.
Your app can be amazing. But if your users forget about it, all of that effort goes to waste.
This is where app retargeting technology can really help.
Top Mobile Ad Networks
- RichAds - #1 Mobile Ad Network for Scaling Ad Campaigns
- Bidease - #1 DSP for mobile app marketers
- Adsterra Network - Well-Known Mobile Ad Network with Partner Care Approach
- Adjust - Mobile Measurement Partner
- Appitate - We provide mobile CPI and CPA offers
- Hitapps - Complex digital advertising solutions that drive results.
- Performcb - #1 Performance Marketing Network Worldwide
- mediasmart - #1 DSP for Incremental growth
- TrafficGuard - #1 ad fraud prevention for brands, networks and agencies
- Tenjin - iOS 14-proof advertising analytics
- ironSource - Connecting people with apps
- Jampp - Unlock new growth
- BidMind by Fiksu - Reach your ideal audience from the comfort of their living room with our programmatic media buying platform
- Kevel - Build a custom ad server in just weeks.
- Adikteev - Data-driven app marketing platform
- App Annie - Unlock advertising, monetization and acquisition ROI with Ascend
- Zoomd - Know More, Do More
- myAppFree - High Quality Mobile Traffic & Exclusive Placements on SONY Xperia, Native SDK
How App Retargeting Works
App retargeting works in two ways, depending on whether your audience has your app installed.
For those without the app, after they visit your website for the first time, your retargeting goal would be to get them to install your app. By placing a pixel from your ad network on your website, first-time visitors are tagged with a cookie on their browser, which will enable your ads to follow their online activities, prompting them to install your app.
For those that already have your app installed, the aim is to get them to engage with it or to make an in-app purchase. Say you have a retail app and one of your app users views a jacket, but then closes out of the app without completing the purchase. Through a mobile app retargeting campaign, you can serve this user an ad for that jacket to encourage them to return to the app and purchase.
An example of a mobile app retargeting ad:
Source: Mobile App Retargeting Blog
Top Mobile App Retargeting Companies
How to start retargeting?
Now that we know the value of mobile app retargeting across channels, let’s look at some best companies in the market that can help you maximize the ROI of your retargeting campaigns.
Obviously, the platform you choose has to suit your business. So while it’s not as simple as picking a platform out of a hat, we hope that this information will help you in making the right decision.
Top Mobile App Retargeting Companies
“Note, companies on the list we’ve compiled below are not in any priority order.”
List of mobile app retargeting companies
Liftoff is Cost-Per-Action optimized mobile user acquisition platform for app marketers. It provides CPI campaigns optimization via tracking post-install events for apps. It also provides retargeting features to bring mobile users back to a specific app and lookalike features to connect mobile apps with users similar to people who already use these apps.
- Mobile platforms: iOS, Android, Mobile Web
- Campaign types: CPI, CPA
- Ad formats supported: Custom
- Targeting: lookalike, retargeting,
- Key Markets: Global