App Annie is the industry’s most trusted mobile data and analytics platform. App Annie’s mission is to help customers create winning mobile experiences and achieve excellence. Founded in 2010, the company launched the first mobile market data solution. In 2019, App Annie acquired Libring, an advertising monetization and spend offering. Together, these solutions comprise the industry’s most complete mobile performance platform. More than 1,100 enterprise clients and 1 million registered users across all geographies and industries rely on App Annie to drive their mobile business. The company is headquartered in San Francisco with 12 offices worldwide.
App Annie Review
But what (or who) is App Annie? Is it worth paying for the premium service? What kind of competitive edge does it provide over competitors? That’s what this guide is for. It’s divided into the following sections:
App Annie Company Overview
App Annie’s most famous product is their downloads and revenue estimates for all apps in the iOS App Store and Google Play.
The company is the go-to for detailed information about app performance for your own mobile application or any other app in the market.
Founded in 2010 by Bertrand Schmitt, with it’s sleek dashboard and functional API it has become the market leader for app market and store data. In September 2019, App Annie launched a platform-wide rebrand and interface update to reflect on the future of the company as it approaches 10 years of customer success.
In the words of Ted Krantz, CEO of App Annie:
“The centerpiece of this rebrand is our new gem logomark—and we are proud to unveil it. The new logo pays homage to our deep roots in gaming—as players seek to ‘level up’ and collect gems. The gem is also inspired by data ‘units’ and reflects the value that our customers gain using accurate and actionable data.”
It’s made four acquisitions so far, and each of those companies did analytics and market intelligence extremely well. It bought Distimo (app store analytics) in 2014, Mobidia Technology (app analytics) in 2015, Appscotch (market intelligence) in 2016, and Libring (1st party analytics) in 2019.
The company is also trusted by some extremely large enterprises. Key clients include Google, Snapchat, United Airlines, Activision, Ubisoft, Visa, Lego, Samsung and more. Since its start in Beijing, it moved its headquarters to San Francisco and also has offices in Beijing, Berlin, London, New York, Paris, Seoul, Shenzhen, Singapore, Tokyo, and Utrecht.
For more information on company visit: https://www.appannie.com/en/about/why-app-annie/
The App Annie Client Wall
Learn more about App Annie’s customer stories.
It has also been recognised by a number of publications and businesses worldwide, including being nominated in the top 100 cloud companies by Forbes and n.10 in the Technology Fast 500 for North America by Deloitte.
Each of their products has a free tier, allowing you to test them out and think carefully before signing up to their paid-for products: App Annie’s pricing structure is highly dependent on your needs and means, so it’s in your best interest to know exactly what you need.
In a world where app store optimization can double or triple sales, you want the best intelligence there is on what works and what doesn’t. So let’s dive into the platform to help you decide, starting off with some key facts about the company.
App Annie Key Facts
App Annie is a large company not in the sense of the number of employees, but rather the amount of data it produces just how crucial it is to app marketing. Here are a few figures to chew on:
- Employees: ~400
- Founded: 2010
- Customers: 1000+
- Facebook likes: 43,000
- Twitter followers: 27,300
- Total Equity Funding: $157M in 6 Rounds
As you can tell from the stats, the company is very strong and has had an upward curve from pretty much the moment of inception. Up next: what they offer.
App Annie divides its products into two major categories: Market and Analytics. The first supplies you with intelligence and statistics of what other publishers are doing, while the second is about your app and its performance.
Let’s break down the services further.
The App Annie platform provides the most accurate and comprehensive mobile market data, trusted by over 1 million users to analyze 14+ million apps across the globe. App Annie has made a name for itself for a number of reasons, one of which is their rankings index, which shows which apps are downloaded the most from the major stores in the market, including iOS App Store and Google Play.
App Annie Free Intelligence gathers the same excellent data: App rank history, ratings tracker, app details, keywords ranking, ASO features and featuring are all included, giving you the chance to find out how competitor apps are doing on the market.
App Annie Free Intelligence is a good tool to analyze downloads and revenue trends for all apps in the market.
To get started, you can watch their onboarding videos and learn how you can make the most of the free version.
App Annie Free Intelligence also has extensive user reviews and ratings analytics capabilities.
App Annie Marketing Intelligence Overview
The paid version of App Annie Intelligence offers ton of data to look under the hood of high-performing apps:
- Downloads & Revenues for every app on iOS and Android across over 150 countries.
- Engagement metrics such as DAU/WAU/MAU, Avg Session Duration, User Retention, Cross-App Usage (+ over 12 more metrics).
- Demographic data including Age and Gender split and user segmentation.
- App Store Optimization (ASO) tools to help optimize discoverability in the App Stores and organic acquisition.
- Advertising gives visibility on paid user acquisition campaigns. Intelligence customers can use the Ad Monetization report to identify the ad platforms on which an app is monetizing,to uncover the individual advertiser apps that are placing ads in the app, and to get a country view showing the app’s global ad monetization footprint.
- SDK Insights to know which SDKs each apps have installed and their market share
- Download Channel helps you understand how users discover apps prior to download. We can show you if paid advertising, organic searches, or an app store feature were the source of the download. Understanding the source of your downloads allows you to allocate marketing resources more efficiently.
- Web Journey reveals the user journey from the mobile web browser to a mobile app. Web Journey demonstrates the interaction between web and app while also providing insight into how users behave in each channel. For customers who are curious about the full cycle of mobile behavior, Web Journey has the answer for you.
With App Annie, you can compare apps in the market against a large set of metrics to identify trends and growth opportunities.
This data allows you to optimize your app’s store presence by optimizing your app’s downloads (be they paid or organic), revenue, engagement and retention.
This customer stories page has videos of customers such as VSCO, who uses App Annie to support it’s monetization, growth and partnership strategy. Watch VSCO Customer Story video.
App Annie Intelligence delves further into apps by tracking number of active users, duration and frequency of use, data usage, revenue per user, retention rates and even market penetration. It also gives you access to estimates of demographics and cross-app usage and a whole slew of advertising estimates: from the top advertisers to country breakdowns and share of voice. On top of that, the platform enables you to compare apps, set alerts, and share reports easily.
App Annie has built-in capabilities to keep track of any change in the market and benchmark these changes against performance metrics.
There are numerous use cases for a large array of industries and personas. App Annie is mostly used to analyze competitors, improve ASO and paid UA, understand an audience base, identify potential partnerships, assess expansion into new markets and and build new innovative app features. Marketing and Product functions are mostly using the platform but the data can be leveraged for a lot of different projects.
With App Annie’s revamped ASO capability, customers can understand market trends and the competitive landscape to increase confidence and certainty. Watch the video to learn more.
ASO Keywords includes keyword discovery features and reporting views.
- Discover Keywords: View up to 1,000 ranked and competitor keywords. Then, get organic keyword suggestions by typing in a seed keyword of your choice.
With our Keyword Spy feature (pictured), we’ll show you the keywords that a competitor is targeting. And, we can go deeper in assessing the keywords that your app shares with your competitor and then identify keywords that are unique to your competitor.
- Keyword Analysis: Learn about keyword rank, search volume, difficulty, and which keywords are driving your traffic share.
- Keyword Lists create blueprints for ASO Success. Some ways that you may want to organize your lists include:
- Primary keywords list: Save your primary keywords that you’re optimizing for today.
- Brainstorming list: Save keywords that you’re not quite ready to commit to.
- New version list: Save keywords that focus on a new app version into a separate list.
- Competitor Analysis: Track your traffic share and keyword rank for specific keywords among your competitive set.
- Keyword Opportunities: Visualize which keywords to try out with keyword opportunities mapped by their search volume and relative difficulty. Also, learn how the difficulty and search volume has changed over time to ensure you pick the best keywords.
- Search Visibility is a new metric that allows you to benchmark your keyword performance against the competition. It does this by illuminating the overall effectiveness of ASO efforts for your own app, a competitor’s app, or any app in the market.
Paid Search: Insights for an app’s paid search activity. Uncover your competitors’ paid search strategies to inform your user acquisition plan. Dive deep into all of the keywords on which a competitor is placing ads and see the share of voice per app advertiser, all in a single view.
Keyword Defense: Find out which of your organic keywords are most at risk from competitive paid search, so that you can protect your organic traffic.
App Annie Connect – Free Analytics for Your Apps
This free tool gives you insights into how your app and your ads are performing.
App Analytics with App Annie
There are two versions of this: App Analytics and Advertising analytics. Here are the two explained in a little more detail.
App Annie Connect covers all the key metrics generated from your app such as revenue and which keywords return your app, downloads by store, country and period and plenty more. This data (which you can access on the web, through the API, on mobile, through app reports or CSV file) can then be used to optimize your store’s page through App Store Optimization, also known as ASO.
On top of that, advertising metrics helps you determine where your marketing budget is bringing in a good return on investment and where it isn’t. Examine revenues, conversion and click-through rates by campaign, vertical, ad platform, demographic data and much more.
To put it simply, App Annie Connect’s value proposition is: “All of your app data – All in one place.”
An overview of a dashboard in App Annie Connect to analyse the performance of your own apps as well as your marketing campaigns.
App Annie Libring – 1st Party Marketing Analytics
This tool is a data aggregation, reporting and analytics SaaS that connects to supply-side and demand-side data partners.
Data Partners Integrated with App Annie Libring
App Annie allows you to seamlessly connect from many data sources including Ad Networks, Mediation partners, App Stores, Usage partners, Acquisition platforms, Attribution platforms, and Data Cloud warehouses so that you don’t need to gather reports from different dashboards.
The App Annie 1st party platform uncovers areas for improvement in your properties for revenue generation or acquisition growth by:
- Monitoring and controlling the partner network
- Enriching and transforming data with ease
- Identifying value for optimization
- Data Connections: Facebook, Google, Ironsource, Amazon S3, Appsflyer, and 400+ additional partners
- Revenue metrics: eCPM, eCPM, Impressions, Clicks, Fill Rate, IAP revenue, Ad revenue, and more.
- Data Enriching Tools: Bulk Normalization, Pivot table analysis, revenue adjustments, custom dimension calculations, daily data connection
Keep in mind that App Annie’s platform is focused on user engagement data, reviews, advertising spend, ASO and revenues.
So now we’ve given you a run-down of the products, how much does App Annie cost?
App Annie Pricing
App Annie’s model is what’s known as “Freemium”. Some features are free, but there are premium tiers you need to pay for.
Basic App Annie Connect is free for insight into high-level app performance – along with some of the features from App Annie Intelligence – with the more advanced App Annie Libring platform priced through a SaaS model depending on impression counts and number of connections.
App Annie’s pricing structure is highly dependent on your needs and means – given that it can vary so much, they do not display prices on their website, but require you to get in touch with them to get a quote. Generally, the price of the package will depend on the depth and the scope of the dataset requested. They have different offers and packages depending on your size in the store in terms of downloads, MAU and revenue.
App Annie Pricing
For the latest packages, visit the App Annie Pricing Page.
The Market Estimates product has three tiers, of which the first is free. Prices will then depend on the category and the number of countries purchased, with annual subscriptions available.
The free tier for Intelligence has email only support only, and results are delivered on their web UI.
App Annie ranking tables shows top apps by downloads, revenue and usage.
App Annie is an extremely powerful tool and one of (if not the) best in its category. The company recently achieved the $100m revenue mark and constantly brings in new products in the market (latest ones being Mobile web, SDK insights and paid versus organic downloads distribution). If you’re interested to access the paid version, you will need to submit a request via their information request page.
Ted Krantz, Chief Executive Officer
Without a doubt market intelligence, app store and app analytics are a key part of any app-related business strategy, and App Annie delivers on all three. Coupled with a world-class dashboard and a broad range of metrics, it really is a perfect tool to see how your app is performing and what it could be doing better; that said, if the potential price puts you off, there are plenty of other alternatives, starting from the very accessible price of free.
App Annie is a mobile market estimate service provider. App Annie is not registered in any investment advisory capacity in any jurisdiction globally, and does not offer any legal, financial, investment or business advice. Nothing contained in this communication, or in any App Annie products, services or other offerings, should be construed as an offer, recommendation, or solicitation to buy or sell any security or investment, or to make any investment decisions. Any reference to past or potential performance is not, and should not, be construed as a recommendation or as a guarantee of any specific outcome. You should always consult your own professional legal, financial, investment and business advisors.
App Annie Data
Sources: Company Data, Press Reports, Linkedin, Twitter, Owler, SimilarWeb
App Annie Info
|Groups:||App Analytics, App Store Optimization, Mobile Marketing, User Acquisition|
- Downloads of business and video conferencing apps skyrockets due to Covid-19 lockdowns Posted on May 06, 2020 by Anne Freer That’s according to new data from analytics platform App Annie based on data from apps including.
- Downloads of health and fitness apps jump 40% during lockdown March Posted on April 08, 2020 by Anne Freer That’s according to newly released data from mobile data analytics platform, App Annie.
- Consumers spent over $23 billion in app stores in Q1 2020 Posted on April 07, 2020 by Anne Freer The latest data provided by App Annie show that time spent in mobile apps has been rising rapidly during the coronavirus lockdown. At....
- Asian game app publishers come out on top in latest App Annie publisher awards Posted on March 25, 2020 by Anne Freer App Annie, the mobile analytics firm, has announced the top 52 mobile publishers of the year in terms....
- Disney Plus already among top 10 video streaming apps Posted on March 20, 2020 by Anne Freer According to an App Annie round-up, Netflix continues to lead the streaming app charts.
- Coronavirus leads to surge in business app downloads and 30% more time in mobile Posted on March 19, 2020 by Anne Freer That’s according to new research from App Annie which examined the impact of coronavirus on mobile use across various countries.
- Coronavirus contributes to mobile game downloads climbing 39% Posted on March 12, 2020 by Anne Freer At the same time, App Annie published figures revealing that top games during the month influenced “Brain Out” and....
- 5 Tips you need to know to cross-promote your new app Posted on March 11, 2020 According to App Annie’s report, Mobile Gaming is on track to surpass $100B across all mobile app stores in 2020....
- How WordDive Reduced its cost per acquisition from €485 to €28 in only 14 months [case study] Posted on February 26, 2020 “We always back decisions with data and App Annie is, together with our own performance data, the most important source for it.
- Shpock leverages App Retargeting to re-engage UK shoppers Posted on February 05, 2020 ...2019. Shopping growth in the UK + app growth in the UK = Shopping app growth in the UK 🤓 According to App Annie, shopping apps in the UK accounted for a growth of 80% between 2016-2018 (that’s over 10B....
- Mobile advertising trends in Japan for 2020 Posted on January 22, 2020 2% for non-gaming apps; this is according to App Annie’s Forecast.
- 3 Mobile app monetization myths developers unwittingly believe Posted on December 09, 2019 ...Meanwhile, overall mobile app revenue across the globe is set to cross $190 billion mark by 2020, as per App Annie’s predictions.
#COVID19 has transformed our world. We unpack the impact of the #coronavirus pandemic on the #mobile economy in a… https://t.co/pQKu9RPiEa(about 1 day ago)
To help curb the spread of the ongoing #COVID19 pandemic, governments across the globe have launched… https://t.co/xQQylsANK5(about 3 days ago)
@FinancialTimes reports on how mobile games are prospering in the pandemic and cites data from our recent IDC Gamin… https://t.co/yLqq1jW4dF(about 4 days ago)
This week special guest Eyad Al Basheer, COO at @tamateminc discusses how to successfully launch games in the Middl… https://t.co/TZW1d7IW4F(about 4 days ago)
Tomorrow we will be joined by special guests Jeena James, VP of Developer Products Group at @headspin_io and Akhil… https://t.co/5bf9HocOrO(about 10 days ago)
- Mobile Minute: eCommerce Marketplaces Expand as COVID-19 Continues to Drive Mobile Shopping Posted on 01st July 2020 (about 3 days ago)
- Mobile Minute: Consumer Downloads Show Early Adoption of COVID-19 Contact Tracing Apps Posted on 24th June 2020 (about 1 week ago)
- Mobile Minute: QSR Apps Introduce New Features to Attract Curbside Customers Posted on 17th June 2020 (about 2 weeks ago)
- 10 Ways Marketers Can Win On Mobile Posted on 16th June 2020 (about 3 weeks ago)
- Mobile Minute: Consumers Spending More Time at Home During COVID-19 Prioritize Renovation Projects Posted on 11th June 2020 (about 3 weeks ago)
App Annie Reviews
Be the first to leave a review.