Gorillas is one of the newest entrants to the rapid delivery sector, launching its platform in Berlin in May 2020 and becoming the fastest German company to reach a $1 billion valuation.
The app works like an on-demand convenience store, delivering things like bread, milk, snacks and toiletries for a flat fee. Gorillas has “dark stores” located in and around cities, usually less than two kilometres away from a customer, to ensure delivery is less than 15 minutes.
Gorillas hires its warehouse workers and delivery riders, instead of using independent contractors, as is the case with DoorDash and Uber.
It has quickly expanded out of Berlin to nine countries, including the UK and the US, with massive advertising campaigns in Berlin, London and New York City.
In terms of marketshare, Gorillas is behind Getir in most European countries (except Germany, where Flink is leading) and is second to GoPuff in North America. That could quickly change however, with the rapid growth in the market in 2021 leading to a lot of consolidation.
Gorillas aims to reach $1 billion revenue in 2022, according to leaked financial documents. It fended off a potential acquisition from DoorDash in 2021, so we should expect it to continue to remain independent and possibly acquire some smaller businesses in the next 12 months.
Free App Market Report: What data stories will you discover?
Your market’s mobile data tells a story. Use our free custom competitive intelligence report to discover insights that give you a competitive edge.Get Started Now
We have collected data and statistics on Gorillas. Read on below to find out more.
Gorillas key statistics
- Gorillas generated approximately $220 million revenue in 2021
- About 900,000 people use Gorillas once a month
- Gorillas was most recently valued at $3.1 billion
|Launch date||May 2020|
|People||Kagan Sumer (CEO, co-founder), Felix Chrobog (COO, co-founder), Ronny Shibley (CTO, co-founder)|
Source: TechCrunch, Verdict
Source: Company data
Note: Cumulative downloads; value taken at the start of each year
|March 2021||$1 billion|
|October 2021||$3.1 billion|
How many countries is Gorillas available in?
Gorillas is available in nine countries: Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, United Kingdom and United States
Who are Gorillas main competitors?
Getir in Europe; Flink specifically in Germany; GoPuff in North America
More Delivery App Data
- Rapid Delivery App Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- Postmates Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- Getir Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- Just Eat Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- Instacart Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- Grubhub Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- GoPuff Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- Deliveroo Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- Uber Eats Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- Food Delivery App Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)