Depop is a social ecommerce website that is primarily used by people selling worn, vintage or repurposed clothing. It has built out a loyal customer-base of 18 to 26 year olds in the UK and US.
Launched in Italian startup incubator H-farm by Simon Beckerman, Depop became successful through word of mouth. Its first break was in the UK, with vintage clothing stores already experiencing higher interest than ever before.
Depop designed its app to be an Instagram for shopping, with an emphasis on high-quality photos of people wearing the item. This spawned a new type of influencer seller, alongside “side-hustlers” who buy cheap items at thrift stores and sell them at higher prices on Depop.
Even though Depop has grown into a cultural phenomenon in some corners, it is rather unknown or unused by those over 35. Depop proudly states that 90 percent of its active users are under 26.
It has also only made headway in the Australia, Italy, the UK and US, with the last two countries responsible for about 70% of downloads in 2020 and 2021.
In 2021, Depop was acquired by Etsy for $1.6 billion. In some ways, Etsy shares a lot of DNA with the Depop community, in terms of the focus on unique, vintage or handmade items, and having sellers that aren’t on other platforms.
We have collected data and statistics on Depop. Read on below to find out more.
Depop key statistics
- Depop’s revenue and gross merchandise sales more than doubled in 2020, to $70 and $650 million, respectively
- Over 30 million people have signed-up to Depop
- It has four million active buyers and two million active sellers
|Launch date||March 2011|
|HQ||London, United Kingdom|
|People||Maria Raga (CEO), Francois Callens (COO), Simon Beckerman (founder)|
|Year||Gross Merchandise Sales|
Note: These are active users
Depop registered users
Sources: Company data, Forbes, TechCrunch
What are Depop’s age demographics?
90% of Depop’s active users are under the age of 26
How many times has Depop’s app been downloaded?
Depop’s app has been downloaded approximately 35 million times (Appfigures)
Where is Depop most popular?
Depop is most popular in the US and UK, followed by Australia and Italy
More Shopping App Data
- Etsy Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- ASOS Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- Pinterest Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- E-commerce App Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- Wish Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- Wayfair Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- Shein Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- eBay Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)