Ecommerce marketplace app Shopee started life out as a customer-to-customer marketplace, in the same vein as eBay, but over the past few years has remodelled itself as a b2c marketplace.
That switch to a b2c hybrid model has netted Shopee a lot of customers, especially in the Southeast Asia region where it is the most popular ecommerce platform by some margin. It also offers services in East Asia and Latin America.
Shopee has managed to surpass Amazon and other ecommerce marketplaces in this region due to its low fees for buyers and sellers, alongside the gamification of its app with discounts and other vouchers as prizes.
Sea Limited, the group behind Shopee, has also used Shopee’s prominence in the region to push into food delivery and mobile payments.
In 2022, Shopee pulled back from several countries in an effort to cut costs. Its ended operations in Europe with the closure of its facility in Poland, and backed out of several countries in Latin America.
We have collected data and statistics on Shopee. Read on below to find out more.
Shopee Key Statistics
- Shopee generated $7.46 billion revenue in 2022, a 63% increase on the previous year
- Gross merchandise volume reached $73.5 billion in 2022
- Shopee had 375 million users in 2022, its largest single market was Indonesia with 103 million users
- Shopee’s app was downloaded 215 million times in 2022
|Launch date||February 2015|
|People||Forrest Li (founder, Sea Limited), Chris Feng (CEO)|
|Business type||Public (NYSE: SE)|
Shopee made $7.46 billion last year, the majority of which came from the Southeast Asia region.
Shopee annual revenue 2019 to 2022 ($bn)
Shopee increased its gross merchandise volume by 17.5% in 2022 to $73.5 billion.
Shopee annual GMV 2019 to 2022 ($bn)
Shopee had 7.6 billion orders in 2022, a 22.5% increase on the previous year.
Shopee annual orders 2018 to 2022 (bn)
Shopee had 375 million users in 2022, making it one of the most popular ecommerce apps worldwide.
Shopee annual users 2017 to 2022 (mm)
Shopee Users by Country
About 60% of Shopee users are based in Southeast Asia, with over 100 million users in Indonesia.
Shopee users by country 2022 (mm)
Shopee was the most downloaded shopping app in 2022, with 215 million downloads.
Shopee annual downloads 2017 to 2022 (mm)
Shopee market share Southeast Asia
More Shopping App Data
- Vinted Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Wayfair Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Wish Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Etsy Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Shein Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- China Ecommerce App Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- eBay Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Pinterest Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Meesho Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Ecommerce App Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)