Tower rush video game Clash Royale was launched in 2016 by game developer Supercell on iOS and Android. The real-time strategy game sets players in three-minute long 1v1 or 2v2 competitions to destroy more towers than their opponents. Since its launch, Clash Royale has made more than $4 billion in revenue.
Finnish company Supercell Oy was founded in 2010 in the city of Espoo, and work began on the Facebook game Gunshine. The game did not see significant success, and so the company switched to the development of mobile games.
Supercell has fully released five mobile games – Hay Day, Clash of Clans, Boom Beach, Clash Royale and Brawl Stars – since 2011. Clash Royale, the fourth supported game, drew on characters and buildings from Clash of Clans. Other spinoffs Clash Quest, Clash Mini and Clash Heroes have not seen the same levels of success.
Clash Royale was the second highest earning app in Europe in 2018, but this fell to 10th the following year. Annual player spending has fallen from the first few years after launch, but the game has been popular enough to cross $4 billion in lifetime revenue, an achievement only made by 15 other mobile games.
Between 2017 and 2020, Supercell held official team esports world championships annually. Since 2021, the Clash Royale League has used a 1v1 format and prize money of more than $1 million is on the line.
Clash Royale continues to be updated by Supercell regularly, with different seasons each month offering new challenges. The developers have also confirmed work on new gameplay for players.
We have collected data and statistics on Clash Royale. Read below to find out more.
Clash Royale Key Statistics
- In 2022, Clash Royale earned $212.4 million, down from $291.9 million the year before
- Clash Royale was downloaded 49.8 million times in 2022
- In August 2023, 4 years after launch, Clash Royale reached $4 billion in lifetime revenue
Clash Royale Overview
|Launch date||March 2016|
|People||Ilkka Paananen (CEO)|
Clash Royale Revenue
Annual in-app revenue for Clash Royale has fallen from a peak of $708.1 million in 2017 to $212.4 million last year. Overall, it took the app 92 months to earn $4 billion in revenue.
Clash Royale annual in-app revenue 2016 to 2022 ($mm)
Clash Royale Downloads
Clash Royale was downloaded 49.8 million times in 2022. 2017 saw the most downloads in a single year at 111.9 million.
Clash Royale annual downloads 2017 to 2022 (mm)
Clash Royale FAQ
How many times has Clash Royale been downloaded?
According to Appfigures, Clash Royale has been downloaded more than 400 million times.
How many people play Clash Royale?
An estimated 60 million people play Clash Royale each month.
More Games App Data
- Role-Playing Games Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Minecraft Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Roblox Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Candy Crush Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Casino Games Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Fortnite Usage and Revenue Statistics (2023)
- Royal Match Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Subway Surfers Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Free Fire Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Clash of Clans Revenue And Usage Statistics (2023)