Playrix was founded by brothers Dmitry and Igor Bukhman in 2004 in Vologda, Russia. The brothers had already released 3 computer games and 30 screensavers, generating enough to buy a second computer. In 2009, the company released the original version of Gardenscapes for Microsoft Windows.
The game focused on restoring a B&B’s garden through completing puzzles, earning money and searching for hidden objects. The sequel Gardenscapes 2 followed in April 2013.
In 2016, a mobile version of Gardenscapes was released, combining a city-building narrative with a match-3 gameplay. It was downloaded more than a million times on its first day on the App Store and was named by Facebook as its Overall Game of the Year for 2016.
The same protagonist, Austin the Butler, is used in Gardenscapes and its 2017 successor Homescapes. While Homescapes has overtaken Gardenscapes in monthly player spend, Gardenscapes is still the top Playrix game in lifetime revenue at over $3 billion.
In 2020, both games were reprimanded by the Advertising Standards Authority and ordered to cease “misleading” ads which show gameplay rarely or never used in the apps. In October 2022, Playrix announced it would close its offices and operations in Russia and Belarus due to the invasion of Ukraine, relocating affected staff to other countries. It had previously moved its headquarters to Dublin in 2013.
The company experienced revenue and usage growth during the coronavirus pandemic and, as of 2021, it had a valuation of $8 billion. It has invested hundreds of millions of dollars in European game studios including Vizor Games and Nexters. Recent acquisitions include Zagrava Games, Eipix Entertainment, Plexonic and Cateia Games.
We have collected data and statistics on Gardenscapes. Read below to find out more.
Gardenscapes Key Statistics
- Gardenscapes generated $429 million in 2022, a fall from $959 million in 2020
- There were 32 million average monthly players of Gardenscapes in 2021
- Gardenscapes has been downloaded more than 324 million times
|Launch date||August 2016|
|People||Dmitry Bukhman (co-founder), Igor Bukhman (co-founder)|
Gardenscapes’ annual revenue peaked at $959 million in 2020, falling to $429 million two years later.
Gardenscapes annual revenue 2016 to 2022 ($mm)
Gardenscapes averages around 30-40 million active monthly users, which peaked in 2020 at 42 million as coronavirus pandemic restrictions lead to more people playing mobile games.
Gardenscapes annual monthly active users 2016 to 2021 (mm)
How many times has Gardenscapes been downloaded?
Sensor Tower reports Gardenscapes has been downloaded more than 324 million times since its launch.
How many levels are available on Gardenscapes?
There are over 13 thousand levels in the game, with new ones added regularly.
More Games App Data
- Minecraft Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Free Fire Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Casino Games Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Shooter Games Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Fortnite Usage and Revenue Statistics (2023)
- Clash of Clans Revenue And Usage Statistics (2023)
- Pokémon Go Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Clash Royale Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Subway Surfers Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)
- Puzzle Games Revenue and Usage Statistics (2023)