NuBank is the largest neobank in the world, with over 45 million customers in Brazil, Mexico and Colombia.
Built as an alternative bank without the extortionate fees Brazilian’s regularly faced, NuBank quickly drew a large community of unbanked customers.
Co-founder David Vélez had worked as a partner at Sequoia Capital and co-founder Cristina Junqueira was previously employed by the largest bank in Brazil.
In the first few years, NuBank struggled to meet the demand, with a waiting list of over 20 million in 2017 while it only had four million customers.
Demand has not slowed either, with the app adding 15 million new customers in 2020 and 13 million new customers in the first nine months of 2021.
It plans to launch in more South American countries in the next few months, which could see NuBank’s total customers rise to over 100 million within the next five years.
Download our detailed research into the online dating app market
The Dating App Report – Research, Insights and Statistics is provided with all data presented as charts and tables. So you can easily extract graphics and individual data. It provides an overview of the sector’s financials, usage, downloads, benchmarks and demographics.Download Report
NuBank is also preparing an IPO on the NASDAQ in the fourth quarter of 2021, potentially valuing the company at $50 billion. This would be one of the first neobanks to go public, and a good tester for other apps like Chime, Monzo and Revolut.
We have collected data and statistics on NuBank. Read on below to find out more.
NuBank key statistics
- NuBank reported $963 million revenue in 2020, an 84% year-on-year increase
- Net losses also decreased, from $312 million in 2019 to $230 million in 2020
- Over 48 million people use NuBank, over 35 million of those are Brazilians
|Launch date||May 2013|
|HQ||São Paulo, Brazil|
|People||David Vélez (co-founder, global CEO), Cristina Junqueira (co-founder, Brazil CEO), Edward Wible (co-founder, director technological platforms),|
Sources: Company data, Crunchbase
|Year||Net profit / loss|
Source: Company data
Source: Company data
NuBank vs competitors: revenue
Want to learn more? Read our mobile banking sector profile
How many new customers does NuBank add a month?
As of the third quarter of 2021, NuBank was adding 2.1 million customers a month
Where is NuBank available?
NuBank is available in Brazil, Mexico and Colombia
How many NuBank users are in Brazil?
Over 35 million NuBank customers are located in Brazil, which is where NuBank is based
What percentage of NuBank users are under 35?
70% of users are under 35, as of April 2021
More Finance App Data
- eToro Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- Revolut Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- FTX Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- Robinhood Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- Klarna Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- N26 Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- Chime Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- Binance Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- Starling Bank Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- PayPal Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)