Unity games are played more on Android than on iOS, but the number of sessions are almost the same

baff1adf75860c479564f8104c61c876_Unity.jpg

Unity games are played more on Android than on iOS, according to data from the game development platform. The figures show Android owners spend an average of 26.6 minutes each day playing Unity games, while on iOS, the average number falls to an average of 19.8 minutes. However, the average number of sessions was almost identical, with 2.4 per day for Android, and 2.38 for iOS.

Unity’s data on iOS

ios unity

Smartphones are also by far the most popular device for playing games made with Unity, with small screen Android mobile devices seeing five times the sessions on tablets or phablets. Unity doesn’t distinguish between what makes a phablet, but they’re generally considered to be phones with a screen larger than 5.5-inches.

Unity’s data on Android devices and OS

android unity

It’s slightly different on iOS, where smaller screen phones have twice the sessions of a larger screen phone. This is perhaps not surprising, given Apple only produces three phone screen sizes, and there are many more Android options.

There’s also an interesting split when Unity examines operating system use. On iOS, sessions are very evenly split between iOS 9.3.x and iOS 10.x, with 42.7% and 48.9% respectively. This gives a total of 91.6% of Unity games running on the two most recently versions of the OS. On Android, 4.4 KitKat, 5.1 Lollipop, and 6.0 Marshmallow all take around 25% each. Android 4.4 KitKat dates back to 2013.

Games made with Unity have been installed almost 5 billion times, on 2.4 billion unique devices, in the past three months alone.

By signing up you agree to our privacy policy. You can opt out anytime.