More than half the world’s apps are downloaded from Google Play

Andy Boxall

In App Business. October 16, 2018

More than half the world’s app downloads come from the Google Play Store, according to data from App Annie, yet it gathers half the amount of revenue. The data shows in 2017, 70% of app downloads came from Google Play, leaving 30% for the App Store, but Google Play took only 34% of the worldwide app revenue, compared to 66% for the App Store.

Apps earning more than a million in the Google Play store

Despite the difference, there are more apps taking in excess of $1m than ever before in the Google Play Store. App Annie states there are 1,696 apps earning between $1m and $10m this year, and 330 taking in more than $10m. In 2016, there were 1,386 apps making between $1m and $10m, and 259 earning over $10m.

The future looks bright for revenue, with the Google Play store forecast to make $27m in revenue during 2018, up 90% over the $22m in 2017. By 2022, App Annie expects revenue to reach $42m. Since January 2012, it has taken a grand total of $85b. The data comes just as Google’s app store celebrates its tenth anniversary.