Daljit has 16 years of IT industry experience in web products and Mobility. Over these years, he has worked for various clients across the Globe like GE (General Electric), EDS (Electronic Data Systems US), HP (Hewlett- Packard) . He is passionate about the new technology and worked on cutting-edge technologies like NoSQL, Internet of Things & Big Data.
Field service management software have significantly evolved during recent years. It can either be deployed on client premises or as a hosted cloud-based system. Whatever the deployment or hosting option is opted, it is often found integrated with backend systems including service management, billing, etc. The biggest questions that businesses are often found analyzing are “Should I really invest in a field service app? “Will the App add any value to my business other than just being an aid in the management?” Businesses are often caught up in the dilemma over these questions.
Wind turbine technicians in a field
These uses cases will help you understand if investing in a field service management app will be fruitful or not.
- Business that serves customers at their doorstep: Do you have a business that provides door to door services to customers? If yes, field service apps are for you. Whether you are in telecommunications and cable industry wherein technicians need to visit the premises of the client to install cable or run phone lines, or you are into the sale of electronic items wherein the technician need to pay a visit at your door for installation demo or repair. You might be into healthcare business offering services of mobile nurses or just a small business venture wherein you deliver products to your customers at their doorstep. A mobile workforce management app is sure to facilitate you to serve your customers in the best possible manner.
- Businesses that have a team of delivery guys or technicians: Are you into a business wherein you have a team of more than 4 delivery guys or technicians? Are you into courier delivery or have a restaurant? Maybe a grocery store that does home delivery. A Mobile Workforce Management App is a must to take that unnecessary load off your shoulder and help keep a balance between the field officers and end customers.
- Businesses that do not wish to spend a monthly amount to hire a field service manager: Do you have a business that needs workforce management but you do not want to appoint a field service manager that takes a subsequent salary? If yes, investing in a field service management app will be the best solution for you. With an app, you can always schedule your worker’s tasks, manage his activities, integrate the work with his availability, track his billing, etc.
- All those who want to scale their business: Everyone wants to expand and grow his/her business. Transforming the traditional ways to manage your field workforce into a mobile field service app will be the first step towards scale. After all, you want everything to be automated and getting a field service software would help you in a big way.
- Businesses that want to switch to technology to keep a record of every task: Are you into a business wherein you would like to switch to technology so that you can maintain a record of every task performed? A field service management app can help you transform from excel sheets to automated tasks. These tasks would be created under different work order and you’ll love how the work gets streamlined with the help of technology. Each task will be recorded and its status will be available to you at all times.
- Businesses that want to take data driven decisions to increase the efficiency of the team: Do you want the functionality wherein you can take data driven decisions in order to motivate the team and boost their morale. There are a lot of small businesses coming up in the field of operating cabs. They are either found using field service software for small business or some field service management app depending upon their size. There are several drivers driving cabs and these apps help them receive service requests, schedule an appointment and get assigned a ride. Data helps you analyze the steps you have to take in order to increase your business and grow further.
- Businesses that want freedom from excel sheets: If you want your business to get rid of the age old excel sheet, introduction to technology will be a boon to your business. Excel sheets don’t provide you with a proper system to track invoices and payments. Tasks like order creation, scheduling, dispatching etc. are best taken care of through field service software. With such apps, the field workers can directly login through a mobile, can view and update jobs, enter payments, capture signatures, and complete invoices.
- Business that care about their mobile workforce: After all, it is your workforce in the field that earn money for you. Making a switch to field service app will act as a catalyst in co-ordinating between you and your employees. It will make sure no employee is over scheduled. The more satisfied the workforce, the less the attrition!
Well, if you fall under any of the use case above, making a switch from traditional field service management ways to a mobile app or software makes much sense. However choosing between a SAAS based model and getting a custom app for your business can be a difficult decision to take.