Microsoft has announced PowerApps, a new platform designed to make building mobile business apps using Microsoft’s Azure cloud back end, considerably easier and quicker than before.
In the official blog post launching PowerApps, it’s stated app build time could go from months to minutes, depending on the scale. Microsoft says PowerApps will solve several key problems faced by businesses developing apps, including the lack of skilled developers, ease of app sharing without app stores, and a more convenient way of connecting to company data.
Microsoft has launched PowerApps, a business app development platform
Notable features and benefits of the new PowerApps platform include:
- Give apps an Office-like style using templates and a visual designer tool.
- PowerApps can connect to various cloud services, including Office 365, Salesforce, Dropbox, and OneDrive.
- PowerApps will connect to databases from Oracle, Sharepoint, and SAP, plus many others.
- Apps can be shared like documents, with only an email address required.
- The Azure App Service is included.
- Apps can be connected to other systems using APIs.
- Corporate privacy and data policies are simple to implement.
- PowerApps are cross-platform, and are compatible with Windows, iOS, and Android devices
You can learn more about PowerApps by visiting Microsoft’s dedicated website here, where you’ll also find instructions on how to get started. There’s a free version to try out, and the final version only requires a subscription if certain developer tools are used.